LaTeX class file for thesis/dissertation/report/project
If you are writing your thesis, dissertation, report, or project using LaTeX, then the files available as a downloadable single zipped file on this page may be of help to you. The files can be used to provide a document class called uwthesis17 which produces output in accordance with the University of Waikato thesis grequirements (see the University Calendar and the thesis presentation requirements). However, depending on the calibration of the printer used, you may need to tweak some of the parameters - see below.
The files are designed to work with both the latex and the pdflatex commands. They have been tested on Linux and also on Windows 10 (using TeXstudio in conjunction with MikTeX). The zip file is available as UW-Thesis.zip.
It is recommended that you make a directory or folder to hold the files in the zip file as well as other files of your thesis.
The files that are in the zipped file are:
- uwthesis17.cls – Document class file.
- uw12.clo – Class option file to use 12 point fonts.
- Waik-Print-PMS-V.eps – University crest in eps format to work with latex.
- Waik-Print-PMS-V.pdf – University crest in pdf format to work with pdflatex.
- sample-thesis.tex – A sample master file for the thesis which can be used to load in other chapters, appendices, references, etc. Test the files out out by running latex or pdflatex on this file.
- chapter1.tex – A sample chapter loaded in by sample-thesis.tex.
The settings in uw12.clo assume that your thesis will be printed single-sided. If it is going to be printed double-sided, then you need to specify the twoside option in the \documentclass command. Depending on the calibration of the printer, you may need to further modify the lengths \textwidth (line 102), \textheight (line 116), \hoffset (line 217) and \voffset (line 218) in the file uw12.clo. You may also need to tweak the \oddsidemargin and \evensidemargin lengths.
On Lines 9 and 10 of the file uwthesis17.cls itself, you will need to change the default settings for the degree and Department/Subject, as well as the type of thesis (thesis, dissertation, report, or project etc) to suit your needs. The default setting of partial fulfulment on Line 11 may also need to be changed to fulfilment. The webpage on thesis presentation requirements explains what the correct setting should be for masters and PhD theses. Otherwise, check with your Department.