Change your password?
Find out about the machine you're logged on to?
Find out what terminal your clients will display on?
Run a program that is in your current directory?
Change the permissions on a directory or file so no one (except you) can read it?
- chmod 600 file ...or...
- chmod 700 directory ...or...
- chmod go-rwx file_or_directory
Print a file?
- Go to our generic printing page here.
Resurrect a file you accidently deleted?
- You can't. UNIX systems don't have an "undelete" facility so be careful.
If you're worried about accidently deleting files, add something like this to your .bashrc:
alias rm='/bin/rm -i'
Find out how much disk space you're using, and how much you're allowed?
Set up an environment variable?
- Edit your .profile file. There are some example export commands in there.
Create your own Web page?